Own Oxygen Mask First: The Psychological Strategy for Self-Care for Healthcare Professionals
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Andrew Tressider
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Health and self-care are not complicated, they just require some common-sense learning and applying that learning to us. This article discusses the principles of self-care and puts the case forward for paying attention to personal health and well-being as essential for delivering on the aspiration of providing excellent care to patients.
Let’s remember, as they say at the start of the flight, to put our own oxygen mask first before helping the person next to us.
- • www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/your-wellbeing
- • www.practitionerhealth.nhs.uk
- • www.healthandself.care
- GMC-UK. Good Medical Practice Guide. https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guidance/ethical-guidance-for-doctors/good-medical-practice
- Tressider, A. Health and Self-Care: Inner Balance for an Effective Life. www.healthandself.care
- Drummond D. Prevent Physician Burnout: 4 Work-Life Balance Tools. Mo Med. 2016 Nov-Dec;113(6):450-454.
- Templeton, K., C. Bernstein, J. Sukhera, et.al. 2019. Gender-based differences in burnout: Issues faced by women physicians. NAM Perspectives. Discussion Paper, National Academy of Medicine, Washington, DC. https://doi.org/10.31478/201905a
- Scholliers A, Cornelis S, Tosi M, Opsomer T, Shaproski D, Vanlersberghe C, Vanhonacker D, Poelaert J, Goudman L, Moens M. Impact of fatigue on anaesthesia providers: a scoping review. Br J Anaesth. 2023 May;130(5):622-635. doi: 10.1016/j.bja.2022.12.011. Epub 2023 Jan 24. https://anaesthetists.org/Fatigue
- Kozlowska K, Walker P, McLean L, Carrive P. Fear and the Defense Cascade: Clinical Implications and Management. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2015 Jul-Aug;23(4):263-87. doi: 10.1097/HRP.0000000000000065.
- Karpman, S. (1968). Fairy tales and script drama analysis. Transactional Analysis Bulletin, 7(26), 39-43.
- The Drama Triangle: Gill Edwards’ insights in www.healthandself.care pp78-81
- Berne, Eric. (1964) Games People Play, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_People_Play_(book)
- Griffiths T and Langsford M, Hammersmith Health Books, London (2021) ISBN 9781781611838 https://www.scribd.com/book/641537988/Emotional-Logic-Harnessing-your-emotions-into-inner-strength