- Medical emergency
How to Cite
Although Australia is accustomed to bushfires on a regular basis the extremity of the latest episode was unprecedented causing worldwide concern for the people and ecosystems of the country. This article describes the causes of bushfires alongside the environmental impacts. It reflects on the heroic manner in which the Australian peoples rallied together to overcome their adversity, concluding on lessons to be learned for future generations.
- Cabinet., ABC News. [internet] Prime Minister to Take Proposal for Bushfire Royal Commission to Cabinet.[updated 12/01/20 Available from https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-12/bushfire-royal-commission-proposal-to-go-to-cabinet-morrison/11860954
- Harris, Sarah, and Chris Lucas. “Understanding the Variability of Australian Fire Weather between 1973 and 2017.” PLoS ONE, vol. 14, no. 9, Public Library of Science, 2019, p. e0222328, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0222328.
- Vardoulakis, Sotiris, et al. “Bushfire Smoke: Urgent Need for a National Health Protection Strategy.” The Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 212, no. 8, Feb. 2020, p. n/a-n/a, doi:10.5694/mja2.50511.
- Di Virgilio, Giovanni, et al. “Climate Change Increases the Potential for Extreme Wildfires.” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 46, no. 14, Blackwell Publishing Ltd, July 2019, pp. 8517–26, doi:10.1029/2019GL083699.
- Beggs, Paul J., et al. “The 2019 Report of the MJA–Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change: A Turbulent Year with Mixed Progress.” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 211, no. 11, John Wiley and Sons Inc., Dec. 2019, pp. 490-491.e21, doi:10.5694/mja2.50405.
- Johnston, Fay H., et al. “Air Pollution Events from Forest Fires and Emergency Department Attendances in Sydney, Australia 1996-2007: A Case-Crossover Analysis.” Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source, vol. 13, no. 1, BioMed Central Ltd., 10 Dec. 2014, p. 105, doi:10.1186/1476-069X-13-105.
- Borchers Arriagada, Nicolas, et al. “Association between Fire Smoke Fine Particulate Matter and Asthma-Related Outcomes: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” Environmental Research, vol. 179, no. Pt A, Academic Press Inc., 1 Dec. 2019, p. 108777, doi:10.1016/j.envres.2019.108777.
- Brook, Robert D., et al. “Particulate Matter Air Pollution and Cardiovascular Disease: An Update to the Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association.” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 21, 1 June 2010, pp. 2331–78, doi:10.1161/CIR.0b013e3181dbece1.
- Research School of Population, Health How to protect yourself and others from bushfire smoke [internet] Australian National University Research [updated 15/01/20] Available https://rsph.anu.edu.au/phxchange/communicating-science/how-protect-yourself-and-others-bushfire-smoke
- Mackee, Nicole. Smoke Haze: "robust evidence"of impact needed. Insight plus, MJA [Internet]. 24 February 2020, issue 7, available https://insightplus.mja.com.au/2020/7/smoke-haze-robust-evidence-of-impact-needed/