Main Article Content
2945 Reads/ Downloads
To explore the emerging concerns of COVID-19 related issues amongst health care workers, members of a range of healthcare organisations, governmental agencies, and the media, an online self-administered survey of healthcare workers was undertaken by the British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin in April 2020.
The respondents were predominantly hospital doctors (67%), aged between 40-60 years (72%) and from Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnicity (BAME) backgrounds in the UK (86%). Thirty percent of respondents had one or more health comorbidities. Over 78% reported either lack of, or inappropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for their role and 68% of respondents felt that they were unable to comply with or that it was impractical to adhere to social distancing at work (including commuting). At the time of the survey, 18.5% of respondents reported having a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19. In multivariate analysis, the inability to self-isolate and having a BAME background emerged as independent risk (OR 1.45) for COVID-19 when adjusted for confounding factors.
These results add to the emerging concerns expressed internationally on the observation that BAME ethnicity appears to have a higher risk of developing COVID-19. This is the first study that adjusted work-related factors (inability to maintain social distancing and inadequate PPE) and comorbidities. Our work supports the imperative for designing and conducting urgent larger studies to understand this risk and plan appropriate mitigation of the risks to health care workers
*version 1.2 includes the addition of self-isolation as a risk for COVID-19. See Table 4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
2. ICNARC Case Mix Programme Database COVID19 Report; 17 April 2020
3. Is ethnicity linked to incidence or outcomes of covid-19? BMJ. 2020 Apr 20
4. The COVID-19 Pandemic: a Call to Action to Identify and Address Racial and Ethnic Disparities; J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2020 Apr 18
5. Exclusive: deaths of NHS staff from covid-19 analysed; HSJ 22 April 2020
6. Ethnicity and COVID-19: an urgent public health research priority; The Lancet April 21, 2020
8. Initial Investigation of Transmission of COVID-19 Among Crew Members During Quarantine of a Cruise Ship - Yokohama, Japan, February 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020 Mar 20
9. Chronology of COVID-19 Cases on the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship and Ethical Considerations: A Report From Japan; Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2020 Mar 24
10. COVID-19 outbreak on the Diamond Princess cruise ship: estimating the epidemic potential and effectiveness of public health countermeasures. J Travel Med. 2020 Feb 28.