The Indian Dilemma in Ukraine: Racism, Politics and Career Fallout for Medical Students
How to Cite
The war in Ukraine has exposed the vulnerability of the Indian medical students who have little options but to study abroad due to the deficit of medical training infrastructure in India. The challenges of life in a foriegn country comes in many guieses even before the start of the invasion. India's abstention from the UN Security Council resolutions related to the conflict stems from a complicated political position and dependence on the Russian Federation for much of the military hardware.
Not that this complicated political relationship should not necessarily affect the life and fate of Indian students - but it does. Civilians including foreign students are always affected by conflict. This leads to displacement, loss of life or limb, destruction of civilian infrastructure and a huge setback to education, health and wellbeing.
The prevalence of bias, racism and discrimination faced by many during the mass evacuation is a double whammy and unfortunately a manifestation of the fractions that exist in such societal fabric. The Indian government's heroic efforts in evacuating over 18,000 students via Operation Ganga is commendable but a serious rethink is needed to provide the investment, infrastructure and opportunities that the India needs for it people and its future.
- Bosnian War | Facts, Summary, Combatants, & War Crimes | Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/event/Bosnian-War (accessed 8 Mar 2022).
- Annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation. Wikipedia. 2022.https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Annexation_of_Crimea_by_the_Russian_Federation&oldid=1075892117 (accessed 8 Mar 2022).
- Forced displacement from Ukraine: notes on humanitarian protection and durable solutions - Ukraine. ReliefWeb. https://reliefweb.int/report/ukraine/forced-displacement-ukraine-notes-humanitarian-protection-and-durable-solutions (accessed 8 Mar 2022).
- Refugees UNHC for. Forced displacement worldwide at its highest in decades. UNHCR. https://www.unhcr.org/news/stories/2017/6/5941561f4/forced-displacement-worldwide-its-highest-decades.html (accessed 8 Mar 2022).
- Effects of war | War and Peace. http://www.warpp.info/en/m1/articles/effects-of-war (accessed 8 Mar 2022).
- How India quietly planned the evacuation of 600 Indian students from Wuhan. Hindustan Times. 2020.https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/alarm-bells-panicky-students-blocked-roads-india-s-wuhan-evacuation-story/story-q0s5koxV7JMYz4IVgGDmZM.html (accessed 8 Mar 2022).
- Indian Students Caught in the Warzone in Ukraine. https://thediplomat.com/2022/03/indian-students-caught-in-the-warzone-in-ukraine/ (accessed 8 Mar 2022).
- Not 1st time India abstained in vote against Russia. It’s about Delhi’s own security interests. https://theprint.in/diplomacy/not-1st-time-india-abstained-in-vote-against-russia-its-about-delhis-own-security-interests/849453/ (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- MUKHERJEE R, MALONE DM. India and the UN Security Council: An Ambiguous Tale. Economic and Political Weekly 2013;48:110–7.https://www.jstor.org/stable/23528511 (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- hisar: Indian students face Ukraine ire after UN vote | Gurgaon News - Times of India. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/gurgaon/students-face-ukraine-ire-after-un-vote/articleshow/89881777.cms (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- Ukraine: Racial discrimination on the rise. Amnesty International. 2008.https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2008/07/ukraine-racial-discrimination-rise-20080710/ (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- Life as a Black Ukrainian: How Some Natives Are Treated Like Foreigners | Wilson Center. https://www.wilsoncenter.org/event/life-black-ukrainian-how-some-natives-are-treated-foreigners (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- Human Rights Watch. Ukraine: Events of 2020. In: World Report 2021. 2020. https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2021/country-chapters/ukraine (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- BBC One - Panorama, Euro 2012: Stadiums of Hate. BBC. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jk4vr (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- In Modern Ukraine, People of Color Need Not Apply. Observer. 2015.https://observer.com/2015/08/in-modern-ukraine-people-of-color-need-not-apply/ (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- OHCHR | Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination the report of Ukraine. https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=20370 (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- News ABC. Europe welcomes Ukrainian refugees — others, less so. ABC News. https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/europe-welcomes-ukrainian-refugees-83153021 (accessed 28 Feb 2022).
- It is official: Ukraine is holding citizens of other countries hostage, to secure its own well-being. TFIGlobal. 2022.https://tfiglobalnews.com/2022/02/28/it-is-official-ukraine-is-holding-citizens-of-other-countries-hostage-to-secure-its-own-well-being/ (accessed 28 Feb 2022).