Tackling Workplace Bullying for Minority Ethnic Doctors
- Bullying and harrassment,
- Minority ethnic doctors,
- Healthcare professionals
How to Cite
Workplace bullying, undermining and microaggressions are a reality for many, and although the prevalence may vary, there is no environment that is free of such hostile interactions. The healthcare workforce is focussed on empathy, kindness and caring, yet the daily experiences of many are in stark contrast to this. Although awareness of these issues exist, incidents of bullying are still grossly under-reported.
Bullying and undermining behaviours stem from a gradient of power and lack of appreciation of the societal advantages of diversity. In keeping with this, the experience of particular sub-populations are disproportionately worse, such as for women, minority ethnic groups, those with disability, LGBTQ+ and those from deprived backgrounds.
There have been campaigns and initiatives to change workplace behaviours, with mixed successes. A less explored role is that of organisations whose declared mission is to stand up for equality, represent the voice of the minorities and the under-represented, akin to self-help groups and advocacy.
This article explores workplace bullying from the perspective of the minority ethnic doctors and proposes the potential benefit of their representative organisations in helping to balance the inherent workplace disadvantages.
- Ortega A, Høgh A, Pejtersen JH, et al. Prevalence of workplace bullying and risk groups: a representative population study. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 2009;82:417–26. doi:10.1007/s00420-008-0339-8
- Gilbert JA, Raffo DM, Sutarso T. Gender, conflict, and workplace bullying: Is civility policy the silver bullet? Journal of Managerial Issues 2013;25:79–98.
- Rhead RD, Chui Z, Bakolis I, et al. Impact of workplace discrimination and harassment among National Health Service staff working in London trusts: results from the TIDES study. BJPsych Open 2021;7. doi:10.1192/bjo.2020.137
- Archer D. Exploring “bullying” culture in the para‐military organisation. International Journal of Manpower 1999;20:94–105. doi:10.1108/01437729910268687
- Hauge LJ, Skogstad A, Einarsen S. The relative impact of workplace bullying as a social stressor at work. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology 2010;51:426–33. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9450.2010.00813.x
- Soylu S, Sheehy-Skeffington J. Asymmetric intergroup bullying: The enactment and maintenance of societal inequality at work. Human Relations 2015;68:1099–129. doi:10.1177/0018726714552001
- Carter M, Thompson N, Crampton P, et al. Workplace bullying in the UK NHS: a questionnaire and interview study on prevalence, impact and barriers to reporting. BMJ Open 2013;3:e002628. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2013-002628
- Bernstein C, Trimm L. The impact of workplace bullying on individual wellbeing : the moderating role of coping : original research. SA Journal of Human Resource Management 2016;14:1–12. doi:10.4102/sajhrm.v14i1.792
- Cowie H, Naylor P, Rivers I, et al. Measuring workplace bullying. Aggression and Violent Behavior 2002;7:33–51. doi:10.1016/S1359-1789(00)00034-3
- Giga S, hoel helge, Lewis D. The Costs of Workplace Bullying. 2008.
- NHS England. Medical Workforce Race Equality Standard (MWRES) WRES indicators for the medical workforce 2020 July 2021. 2021. https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/MWRES-DIGITAL-2020_FINAL.pdf (accessed 24 Jul 2021).
- Lewis D, Gunn R. Workplace Bullying in the Public Sector: Understanding the Racial Dimension. Public Administration 2007;85:641–65. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9299.2007.00665.x
- Bergbom B, Vartia M. Ethnicity and Workplace Bullying. In: D’Cruz P, Noronha E, Caponecchia C, et al., eds. Dignity and Inclusion at Work. Singapore: : Springer 2021. 393–432. doi:10.1007/978-981-13-0218-3_14
- Bergbom B, Vartia-Vaananen M, Kinnunen U. Immigrants and natives at work: exposure to workplace bullying. Employee Relations 2015;37:158–75. doi:10.1108/ER-09-2014-0101
- health-brief14.pdf. https://raceequalityfoundation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/health-brief14.pdf (accessed 22 Aug 2021).
- Thomas R. Fifty senior doctors ask CEO for protection against bullying. Health Service Journal. https://www.hsj.co.uk/university-hospitals-of-north-midlands-nhs-trust/fifty-senior-doctors-ask-ceo-for-protection-against-bullying/7030744.article (accessed 22 Aug 2021).
- Senior doctors allege racist bullying at a Staffordshire NHS trust. BBC News. 2021.https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-57835876 (accessed 22 Aug 2021).
- NHS England » Improving through inclusion: Supporting staff networks for black and minority ethnic staff in the NHS. https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/improving-through-inclusion-supporting-staff-networks-for-black-and-minority-ethnic-staff-in-the-nhs/ (accessed 23 Oct 2020).
- lhtek. The Narrow Bands of Acceptable Behavior: The Double Standard. THE HEIM GROUP: Gender Experts. https://heimgroup.com/the-narrow-bands-of-acceptable-behavior-the-double-standard/ (accessed 6 Sep 2021).
- Musselman LJ, MacRae HM, Reznick RK, et al. ‘You learn better under the gun’: intimidation and harassment in surgical education. Med Educ 2005;39:926–34. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2929.2005.02247.x
- Altering workplace attitudes for resident education (A.W.A.R.E.): discovering solutions for medical resident bullying through literature review | BMC Medical Education | Full Text. https://bmcmededuc.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12909-016-0639-8 (accessed 22 Aug 2021).
- Shocking levels of bullying, victimisation & harassment of medical staff exposed at UHNM. BAPIO | British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin. 2021.https://www.bapio.co.uk/shocking-levels-of-bullying-victimisation-harassment-of-medical-staff-exposed-at-university-hospitals-of-north-midlands-uhnm/ (accessed 6 Sep 2021).
- Samsudin EZ, Isahak M, Rampal S. The prevalence, risk factors and outcomes of workplace bullying among junior doctors: a systematic review. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology 2018;27:700–18. doi:10.1080/1359432X.2018.1502171
- Kline R, Lewis D. The price of fear: Estimating the financial cost of bullying and harassment to the NHS in England. Public Money & Management 2019;39:166–74. doi:10.1080/09540962.2018.1535044
- bullying_and_harassment_research_review_v7_web.pdf. https://www.yorksandhumberdeanery.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/bullying_and_harassment_research_review_v7_web.pdf (accessed 22 Aug 2021).
- Roberts RM, Ali F. An Exploration of Strength of Ethnic Identity, Acculturation and Experiences of Bullying and Victimisation in Australian School Children. Children Australia 2013;38:6–14. doi:10.1017/cha.2012.44
- Morris C, Reid A-M, Ledger A, et al. Expansive learning in medical education: Putting Change Laboratory to work. Medical Teacher 2020;0:1–6. doi:10.1080/0142159X.2020.1796948
- Mawdsley H. Trade union intervention in workplace bullying : issues of employee voice and collectivism amongst union members and officials. 2012.https://pure.southwales.ac.uk/en/studentthesis/trade-union-intervention-in-workplace-bullying(effa7b94-19cf-4592-b7fb-d381c20b5a61).html (accessed 6 Sep 2021).
- Mawdsley H, Thirlwall A. Third-party interventions in workplace bullying: a neoliberal agenda? Employee Relations: The International Journal 2018;41:506–19. doi:10.1108/ER-09-2017-0216