The Passing of Queen Elizabeth II : New dawn of the Carolean Age
- Queen Elizabeth II,
- Elizabethan Age,
- Carolean Age
How to Cite
Suppose the Carolean age is to see the restoration of the influence of the monarchy and the aspiration of making Britain, independent of Europe, an island with an iota of its previous glory. In that case, this will have to be earned not by arms, stealth or manipulation but by love, respect and fairness. The first step in repairing the image of Britain both to its diverse citizens and the Commonwealth will have to begin with an open, honest acknowledgement of the atrocities of the past, a promise of reparation and welcoming of equal partners. Will King Charles III and his new Prime Minister Lizz Truss rise to the challenge? We will have to wait and see.
As my favourite Rabindranath Tagore poet wrote,
'Death is not extinguishing the light, it is only putting out the light as dawn has come.'
- India’s 10 greatest warrior Emperors and Kings | All About History. http://www.historyanswers.co.uk/kings-queens/indias-10-greatest-warrior-emperors-and-kings/ (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- The Early Modern Monarchism in Mughal India (With a Bibliographical Survey) | Exotic India Art. https://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/early-modern-monarchism-in-mughal-india-with-bibliographical-survey-naf760/ (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- Queen Victoria Becomes Empress of India | Making Britain. https://www.open.ac.uk/researchprojects/makingbritain/content/queen-victoria-becomes-empress-india (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- The History Press | India from Queen Victoria’s time to independence. https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/articles/india-from-queen-victoria-s-time-to-independence/ (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- Queen Victoria: The woman who redefined Britain’s monarchy. BBC Teach. https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/ks3-gcse-history-queen-victoria-monarchy/z73rnrd (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- Republicanism in the United Kingdom. Wikipedia. 2022.https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Republicanism_in_the_United_Kingdom&oldid=1109519991 (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- Jasanoff M. Opinion | Mourn the Queen, Not Her Empire. The New York Times. 2022.https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/opinion/queen-empire-decolonization.html (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- Queen Elizabeth’s death stirs debate about colonialism, slavery and British racism. USA TODAY. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/09/09/queen-elizabeth-and-colonialism-debate-follow-death-british-monarch/8027532001/ (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- The Palace Papers: Inside the House of Windsor--The Truth and the Turmoil. New York: 2022.
- People’s princess. Wikipedia. 2022.https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=People%27s_princess&oldid=1101945747 (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- Elizabeth II and Lady Diana: A turbulent relationship plagued by scandal. Le Monde.fr. 2022.https://www.lemonde.fr/en/international/article/2022/09/10/elizabeth-ii-and-lady-diana-a-turbulent-relationship-plagued-by-scandal_5996444_4.html (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- Prince Andrew & the Epstein Scandal. Wikipedia. 2022.https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Prince_Andrew_%26_the_Epstein_Scandal&oldid=1102618088 (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- Msimang S. Do not pretend celebrity princess Meghan Markle can meaningfully advance the cause of racial justice. The Guardian. 2022.https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/03/do-not-pretend-celebrity-princess-meghan-markle-can-meaningfully-advance-the-cause-of-racial-justice (accessed 11 Sep 2022).
- Nast C. What Meghan Markle Revealed About Racism and the Royals. Vanity Fair. 2022.https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/05/dynasty-what-meghan-markle-revealed-about-racism-and-royals (accessed 11 Sep 2022).