- organ donation,
- Social perspectives,
How to Cite
Social and cultural perspectives explaining the lower availability of organs donors amongst BAME communites and measures to tackle this variation.
- Vathsala A. Improving cadaveric organ donation rates in kidney and liver transplantation in Asia. Transplant Proc. 2004 Sep 1;36(7):1873–5.
- Aijing L, Wenzhao X, Wei W, Qiquan W, Xuantong D. Public Opinion on Organ Donation After Death and Its Influence on Attitudes Toward Organ Donation. Ann Transplant. 2016 Aug 18;21:516–24.
- Balwani MR, Gumber MR, Shah PR, Kute VB, Patel HV, Engineer DP, et al. Attitude and awareness towards organ donation in western India. Ren Fail. 2015 May;37(4):582–8.
- Delmonico FL. The development of the Declaration of Istanbul on Organ Trafficking and Transplant Tourism. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008 Nov 1;23(11):3381–2.
- Rady MY, Verheijde JL. The moral code in Islam and organ donation in Western countries: reinterpreting religious scriptures to meet utilitarian medical objectives. Philos Ethics Humanit Med. 2014 Jun 2;9(1):11.
- Bruzzone P. Religious aspects of organ transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2008 May;40(4):1064–7.
- Wasser WG, Boner G, Koslowsky M, Lazar A. Emergence of an Israel faith-based community organization facilitating live donor kidney transplantation. BMC Nephrol. 2018 07;19(1):128.
- Arbour R, AlGhamdi HMS, Peters L. Islam, brain death, and transplantation: culture, faith, and jurisprudence. AACN Adv Crit Care. 2012 Dec;23(4):381–94.
- Mohamed E, Guella A. Public awareness survey about organ donation and transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2013;45(10):3469–71.
- Sadler BL, Sadler AM. Organ Transplantation and the Uniform Anatomical Gift Act: A Fifty-Year Perspective. Hastings Cent Rep. 2018 Mar;48(2):14–8.
- Iltis AS, Rie MA, Wall A. Organ donation, patients’ rights, and medical responsibilities at the end of life. Crit Care Med. 2009 Jan;37(1):310–5.
- Simillis C. Do we need to change the legislation to a system of presumed consent to address organ shortage? Med Sci Law. 2010 Apr;50(2):84–94.
- Fabre J. Presumed consent for organ donation: a clinically unnecessary and corrupting influence in medicine and politics. Clin Med Lond Engl. 2014 Dec;14(6):567–71.
- Heart transplant infrastructure in India very poor: Health experts [Internet]. The Indian Express. 2016 [cited 2020 Feb 24]. Available from:
- Medical College, Kolkata [Internet]. [cited 2020 Feb 24]. Available from:
- Doctors at Fortis Hospital successfully perform Kolkata’s second heart transplant [Internet]. The Asian Age. 2018 [cited 2020 Feb 24]. Available from: https://www.asianage.com/life/health/250918/doctors-at-fortis-hospital-successfullyperform-kolkatas-second-heart-transplant.html
- Israni AK, Zaun D, Bolch C, Rosendale JD, Snyder JJ, Kasiske BL. Deceased Organ Donation. Am J Transplant Off J Am Soc Transplant Am Soc Transpl Surg. 2016 Jan;16 Suppl 2:195–215.
- Srivastava A, Mani A. Deceased organ donation and transplantation in India: Promises and challenges. Neurol India. 2018 Apr;66(2):316–22.
- Matesanz R, Domínguez-Gil B, Coll E, Mahíllo B, Marazuela R. How Spain Reached 40 Deceased Organ Donors per Million Population. Am J Transplant Off J Am Soc Transplant Am Soc Transpl Surg. 2017 Jun;17(6):1447–54.
- Rithalia A, McDaid C, Suekarran S, Norman G, Myers L, Sowden A. A systematic review of presumed consent systems for deceased organ donation. Health Technol Assess Winch Engl. 2009 May;13(26):iii, ix–xi, 1–95.